Please Note: This guide is only applicable for users accessing our new Express v2 system. If you have not had your system updated to this version of Express you can find information on navigating consultations in Express here.
Starting a Consultation
There are a number of ways to start a consultation in Express:
1. Start the consultation from the Appointment
This can be done by accessing the appointment in the diary and then selecting Start Consultation or navigating to the client log, selecting the relevant appointment and then selecting Start Consultation.
2. Start the consultation from the Consultation heading
Select consultation from the menu bar and then search for the relevant client for the consultation. This will then direct you to the consultation screen.
3. Start the consultation from the client log
Select client from the menu bar and then search for the relevant client for the consultation. Then select Start Consultation and it will open the consultation screen.
Important: Method 2 and 3 will not directly link your notes to the client appointment which can be important for reports, treatment episodes and some billing methods, particularly if you use Express alongside PPS. If you want the consultation to be linked to the appointment use method 1 to open the consultation.
Opening a Treatment Episode
When you open the consultation screen for a new client you will be presented with the New Treatment screen. This screen will allow you to open a treatment episode for this client relating to a specific course of treatment. The treatment episode will hold the consultations, custom forms and any documents associated to the client.
It's possible to have more than on Treatment Episode open for a client at any given time for various issues or complaints that the client comes in for treatment for. Treatment Episodes can last for as long as is necessary to cover what you deem one course of treatment, or may remain open indefinitely.
The Start Date of the treatment episode will relate to the date of the first appointment but this can be manually changed.
Similarly, the Practitioner associated will be the practitioner that the first appointment is with but this can be changed manually.
A Treatment Name can be added to identify this course of treatment.
Once all the details are entered select Create Treatment to proceed to the consultation screen.
The Consultation Screen
The consultation screen will display the basic client details with the history of the consultations below.
1. The History panel will show the general overview of the Treatment Episode as well as all consultations, forms, activities and documents associated to the Treatment Episode. Use the arrows next to each section to expand or collapse the information in the history.
2. The Notes section will have the text box where the consultation notes can be entered. The practitioner and the date can also be modified here. The tool bar allows you to bring forward notes from the previous consultation, save the notes, delete the notes (once notes have first been saved), sign off the notes to prevent them from being modified further and mark the notes as private so that other PPS users cannot view them.
3. The forms section allows you to access the built in custom forms where you can record specific information from the consultation in a pre-designed form.
The custom forms allow you to annotate body charts, note down information in free text boxes or select the relevant answers from check boxes or multiple choice questions. You can also record a signature in form now.
Select the + icon and then select the required form from the list. In the forms toolbar you can save the form, delete the form, cancel out of the form without saving any changes, bring forward values from the previous form filled out for this client, sign off the form to prevent any changes and make the form private so that no other PPS users can view the form. If the form selected has a body chart you can edit the chart to add text, draw, add lines, zoom in and out, you can also remove any selected annotations and show or hide the annotations.
4. The Consultation Options can be found found by clicking the 3 dots in the top right hand corner of the consultation screen.
These options allow you to update the current Treatment Episode details which allows you to modify the start date, practitioner or Treatment name and an end date can also be entered to close this Treatment Episode.
You can complete the consultation which will, again, allow you to update any Treatment details and where a charge can also be raised to associate to the consultation.
You can create a New Treatment manually to associate a new consultation to.
You can also select to start a New Consultation. This can be used if you have opened a previous consultation, for example from the client log, and want to start a new consultation.
Finally, you can also Start a Video Consultation. You can read the full steps on using this feature in this guide.